Judge Melanie L. Cyganowski (ret.) became a Member of the Firm in 2008, after serving a full 14-year term as a Bankruptcy Judge in the Eastern District of New York. From November 29, 2005 through the end of her term, she was the Chief Judge of the Court. Ms. Cyganowski now serves as Chair of the Firm's Restructuring and Bankruptcy Department.
Ms. Cyganowski practices in insolvency and bankruptcy litigation, and is also an active mediator, having mediated cases in bankruptcy and federal cases throughout the country. Ms. Cyganowski represents debtors, creditors' committees and has also been appointed to various fiduciary positions in several large and complex bankruptcy cases. Ms. Cyganowski has developed particular expertise in contract interpretation and enforcement, breach of fiduciary duty, examination of transactions, fraudulent conveyance and the pursuit of claims in bankruptcy.
Some representative matters include:
- Co-counsel to the Ad Hoc Committee of settling governmental claimants in Purdue Pharma;
- Equity Receiver of the Platinum Funds in an SEC liquidation proceeding;
- Independent Advisory Committee Member appointed by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre, New York;
- Patient Care Ombudsman in Randolph Hospital, Promise Healthcare, Orianna Health Systems, 21st Century Oncology and California Proton;
- Chief Restructuring Officer and Temporary Operator of Interfaith Medical Center; and
- Mediator in Madoff and Lehman Brothers cases
Ms. Cyganowski is a Fellow in the American College of Bankruptcy, on the Editorial Advisory Board of Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Practice & Law, and an adjunct professor at St. John's University School of Law. She is active in philanthropic organizations, including Tina's Wish. Ms. Cyganowski has given presentations and/or written articles sponsored by American Bankruptcy Institute, American Bar Association, New York Institute of Credit, TMA and Federal Bar Council.