As a senior trial attorney at Jones Ward PLC, Alex helps clients to recover from injuries caused by a wide range of dangerous consumer products, pharmaceutical drugs and medical devices. Alex represents clients from almost every state in the nation, from Alaska to Florida and New York to California. He graduated, Cum Laude, from the Louis D. Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville, and was an editor of the school’s flagship law review.
Alex has been selected as a 2017 Kentucky Rising Star by Super Lawyers, a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers, and he is a member of the Louis D. Brandeis American Inn of Court, whose mission is to foster excellence in professionalism, ethics, civility, and legal skills among judges and lawyers. He is admitted to practice before the Kentucky Supreme Court, as well as U.S. District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Kentucky, and numerous other federal and state courts pro hac vice.
A native of Akron, Ohio, Alex has lived in Kentucky since 2003. He also assists clients with serious personal injury cases, including auto and truck accidents, as well as wrongful death, nursing home negligence and insurance bad faith. As an avid motorcycle owner, bicyclist, and runner, Alex has a particular interest in representing injured cyclists and pedestrians. He has tried multiple cases to jury verdict, and regularly prepares civil cases for trial in state and federal court. His $12.9 million jury verdict against a drunk driver in June 2016 in Louisville is one of the largest such civil jury verdicts in Kentucky history.
In his class action practice, Alex represents plaintiffs in cases involving train derailments, environmental contamination, Internet marketing scams, video game gambling, defective consumer products, and banks that offer payday loans or charge unfair fees. He has been involved in the following Multi-District Litigation (MDL) and mass tort cases:
- In re: Smith & Nephew BHR & R3 Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2775.
- Essure Birth Control Product Cases, JCCP 4887.
- In Re: Zofran (Ondansetron) Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2657.
- In Re: Taxotere (Docetaxel) Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2740.
- In Re: Johnson & Johnson “Baby Powder” and “Shower to Shower” Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2738.
- Risperdal and Invega Products Liability Cases, JCCP 4775.
- In re: DePuy Orthopaedics ASR Hip Implant Litigation MDL 2197.
- In re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2545.
- In re: Yasmin and Yaz (Drospirenone) Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation MDL No. 2100.
- In re: Boston Scientific Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2326.
- In re: Zimmer Durom Hip Cup Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2158.
- In re: Biomet M2a Magnum Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2391.
- In re: DePuy Orthopaedics Pinnacle Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2244.
- In re: Prempro Products Liability Litigation, MDL 1507.
- In re: Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2592.
- In re: Stryker Rejuvenate and ABGII Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2441
- In re: Chantix (Varenicline) Products Liability Litigation MDL 2092
- In re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig “Deepwater Horizon,” MDL 2179.
- In Re: Boston Scientific Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2326
- In re: Higher One OneAccount Marketing and Sales Practices Litigation, MDL 2407
- In Re: Target Corporation Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL 2522
- In Re: Cook Medical IVC Filters Marketing, Sales Practices and Product Liability Litigation, MDL 2570.
- In Re: Daily Fantasy Sports Litigation, MDL 2677.
- In Re: Abilify (Aripiprazole) Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2734.
- Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer Cases, JCCP 4872.
- Wright Hip System Cases, JCCP 4710.
Here are some of Alex’s recent publications:
- Putting the Horse Before the Cart: The Power of 30(b)(6) Depositions as an Early Discovery Tool, Ohio Association for Justice Quarterly, April 2016.
- Closing Time: Settlement Strategies for Your Mass Tort Case, The Advocate, July 2014 (download)
- Heavy Metal: Emerging Trends in Hip Implant Litigation, The Advocate, November 2013 (download)
- The University of Louisville Law Review at Fifty: A Brief Look Back and a Hard Look at the Future, Alex C. Davis, 50 U. LOUISVILLE L. REV. 699 (2012).(download)
- The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Medical Malpractice Litigation, 2012 (download)
- Moving to Mellow: How the New Medical Marijuana Policy at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Fits into the Growing Effort to Legalize Pot in America, 2012.(download)
Alex previously worked for more than a decade as a daily newspaper journalist in Ohio, Oregon, Indiana, and Kentucky. His work as a professional writer took him across the United States and Mexico, investigating stories about political corruption, natural disasters, immigration, and many other topics. He spent the last six years of his journalism career at The Courier-Journal in Louisville, Ky.
While in law school, Alex received the top grade in Advanced Trial Practice, and founded a student chapter of the American Association for Justice. Alex also holds a bachelor’s degree from Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana, where he was a four-year member of the men’s varsity soccer team and received the school’s scholar-athlete award.
Alex is active in the American Association for Justice, the Kentucky Justice Association, and the Louisville Bar Association. He also is a committee member of the Justice for All Campaign, which raises funds for the Legal Aid Society in Louisville and surrounding counties. He is a professionally trained photographer and videographer, and speaks conversational Spanish. He has volunteered with the following organizations:
- Legal Aid Society (pro bono legal representation for low-income and Spanish-speaking clients)
- Highland Youth Recreation (volunteer soccer and baseball coach, and steering committee member)
- Highlands Cub Scout Pack 40 (Cubmaster, 2015-present)
- Thomas Jefferson Unitarian Church (board of directors)
- Class Chair, Earlham College Class of 1998
Alex lives in the Original Highlands neighborhood of Louisville with his wife and two sons, and a flock of backyard chickens. You can follow his personal blog at this link.